Easy Lentil Soup
August 19, 2020
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup (150 g) finely chopped onion
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 pound (500 g) lentils, rinsed
- 1 15-oz (400 g) can of chopped tomatoes
- 6 cups (1.5 L) low-sodium vegetable broth
- ½ tsp each of cumin and coriander
- Optional: fresh lemon and crumbled goat cheese
- Step 1 Over medium heat, drizzle the olive oil in a Dutch oven or stock pot. When it’s hot, add the onion, carrot and celery and cook for about 8 minutes, until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Step 2 Add the garlic cloves and saute for about 1 minute. Next add the lentils, chopped tomatoes, broth and spices, stirring to combine. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low, and cook until the lentils are done, about 40 minutes.
- Step 3 You can serve as-is, or if you want a smoother consistency, use an immersion blender to puree the soup. Optional: Serve topped with a splash of fresh lemon juice and 2 tbsp of goat cheese.