Zuppa Toscana (Tuscan Soup)
(serves about 6)
- 4 slices uncured natural bacon
- 1 lb (450 g) uncured Italian sausage with the casings removed (get your favorite brand: chicken or turkey)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 6 cups (1.4 L) low-sodium chicken broth or organic chicken bone broth
- 6 medium red potatoes (chopped to bite-size)
- 6 oz (168 g) of fresh spinach or kale
- 8 oz (230 ml) of full-fat coconut milk (the kind in a can – mix it up really well before adding!)
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a large pot, saute the bacon over medium heat. When it’s done, remove it and drain off most of the fat. Next, add the sausage and cook until browned.
Add the onion, and Italian seasoning and continue to saute for 2-5 minutes, until onion is softened. Add garlic and saute for about 1 minute.
Add chicken broth and potatoes, and reduce the heat. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Add the spinach or kale and the coconut milk and continue to simmer until the greens and potatoes are tender. Add the bacon and heat through.
Add salt and pepper to taste.